On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM, John Gelburg <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Thank you Donald for your answer. Two follow-ups that I am missing:
>
> 1. As far as I understand, your approach does not try to compensate if for
> one condition in total I have more trials than for the other. Wouldn't it
> create I bias? Consider the case that in one condition I have in total
> let's say two times more trial, but in case that trials evenly distributed
> across session the contrast would look like: [0.5 -0.5 0.5 -0.5].

If you have null hypothesis c1=c2. The weighting is based on the number of
trials on the left side of the equation for the left sided weights and the
weighting on the right sides is based on the number trials on the right
side. Once you have the weightings, then subtract c2 from c1.

The more trials you have the closer the estimate will be to the true
response.

> 2. You suppose that two sessions are equivalent, but if for some reason a
> subject was more alert in one of the sessions, this might create a bias
> towards the condition, which has more trials in this session. Isn't it?

This would be an instance of when you might not want to weight the
conditions based on the number of trials.