I'm not sure one has to decide -- or if one can.  Rather,
Spenser diplomatically divides the provocation in this
conflict & clash between the two knights (or their
parties), so that each appears to serve as a provocation
to the other.  The equation is reactive, and "advance" is
a loaded term suggesting some kind of thrust or
anticipatory action (troops advance on a military object,
sexual beings make advances, technical knowledge and
civilization make advances, causes are advanced, etc.)
  I'd paraphrase, pedantically, as follows.  Upon
encountering a fully armed stranger knight, Redcrosse
advances his spear in some way or other that shows him
ready, if necessary, to defend himself (perhaps he lowers
his weapon ninety degrees, from a vertical, upright
"north" position, an angle suitable for carrying a banner
or pennon, to a horizontal "east" position--but, again,
likely not so many degrees as that).  Whatever Redcrosse
does with his spear, or, more precisely, whatever signal
that his "advance" action (with his spear) sends, it's
enough to cause Fidessa to tell her own knight that he
presently has a "foe" in view.  Redcrosse is likewise
suddenly not sans-foe, when Sansfoy rises to the challenge
Fidessa has proposed (for her knight), and, pricked by his
own pride, and in a sudden lather, spurs his mount forward
with felonious intent.  Upon seeing the animus driving his
opposite, Redcrosse now puts his spear into battle mode
(cocks his rifle, as it were), defensively lodging it
against its rest (part of his saddle, I guess) to keep it
in place and pointed at the aggressor in anticipation of
the shock of the impending encounter, which he may have
provoked, though perhaps not deliberately.  What comes to
mind here is the status indicated by the term Church
Militant, the body of believers as engaged on this earth
in a constant warfare against the world, the flesh and the
devil.  Sansfoy is a Sarazin, and probably swears by
Mahomet ("Curse on that crosse" with Corflambo in
IV.viii.44).  It's often noted, of course, that the
monotheistic religions, in campaign mode, can be the ones
given to armed crusades and ideologies of conquest (cp. in
our stanza, I.ii.15, "Do backe rebut, and each to other
yeeldeth land"--Lepanto, etc.).  -- Jim N.

James Nohrnberg
Dept. of English, Bryan Hall 219
Univ. of Virginia
P.O Box 400121