Hi,
I was really struck by the concept of student-centred evaluation in theory as well as in practice.

One way of doing it could be to have students vote for a good tutor. Implicit in that is the potential to have an academic x-factor that might lead to benchmarking and managerialism.

We could also conceptualise student evaluation of teaching as the facilitation of a reflective conversation amongst students. Such a dialogue would seek to help students define the criteria that might constitute good teaching based on their views at that moment in time. That would be 'evaluation for them' rather than evaluation for staff. This has been my approach to defining and working with student evaluation of teaching. It always begs the question as to who is to be the immediate beneficiary of such evaluation.

At the same time, tutors would be able to understand the co-constructed views of quality from a grounded perspective that would be supportive and developmental for all concerned. I think otherwise we might make tutors into winners and losers in a gaming culture's view of quality and a narrow construction overall. Quality is always subjective and always context-sensitive (situated theory etc).

So, my wider point is shether we might usefully re-think theiry and practice of Student Evaluation of Teaching' as something for students by students. Just some thoughts on a Minday morning.

Nick

Sent while on the move

Nicholas Bowskill,
Faculty of Education,