From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Helen Beetham
Sent: 23 March 2012 11:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Teaching as well as learning (was: teaching and learning in the same word request from Danny Saunders)

This is a very interesting request and discussion. But slight alarm bells ring for me - I remember a period several years ago when it was almost forbidden to talk about teaching and everything had to be rephrased in terms of learning (I'm sure that is not the case on this discussion list).

For me, teaching is a useful term for everything we as human beings do to support others in our social group to learn - showing, telling, instructing, mentoring, responding… It is different from learning because it has an intention towards the learning of the other. All animals learn but only social animals teach. I think the best illustration of how hardwired this is in the human species is 'motherese' - a specific set of vocal patterns which make it easier for an infant to pick up spoken language. It's universal across human cultures, and heard in even very young children when they are talking to a younger one. That's the teaching instinct.

What we do as educational developers is to support and develop, promote and amplify an essentially human tendency, to want others to thrive. Let's celebrate teaching!

Helen

Helen Beetham
Consultant in e-Learning
twitter helenbeetham