While this is usually sound advice, and is the line that I have usually
taken over the years, there are times when you can do "marketing" work and
follow it up with some journalism. The crucial thing is to tell the editors
concerned how you came across a story and how you were involved. If the
editor knows that you have done some paid-for work elsewhere - and, probably
most important, they trust you to do an honest job - they may well
commission work if the story is good enough.

I have even done this sort of thing for the Financial Times.

But, as Francis says, this is the exception rather than the rule. Most times
you wouldn't even think of trying to "double dip" on commercial work, often
because it is not suitable.

One thing you never do - well, I never do - is to take on commercial work
where they want you to pitch stories to newspapers or other media. Happy to
set them up with a contact. Or even to write for the newspaper if the story
is really good, but never when the source has offered money.

As to EurekAlert!, it is a law unto itself and is precious beyond belief,
which is why it is so baffling that some British institutions prefer paying
these Americans rather than backing a local organisation like AlphaGalileo.

MK