Dear terry,

Things are only ever A because someone asserts/affirms that they are A.

That is, calling things anything makes them symbols and hence they, as As or Bs, exist within a symbolic system.

Within the symbolic system, the As and Bs have a reality as part of the system which is independent of anyone asserting they are As or Bs.

Still, they only become As and Bs when someone asserts/affirms that they are As or Bs by using the system.

That is, they are As and Bs because they are OBJECTS before a mind.

The role of science is to hypothesis relationships between symbolic systems and things that are presumed (hypothesized) as existing independent of the symbolic system being used to attempt to account, in some way, for the presumed and quantifiable features of things. This means that symbolic systems can also treat themselves as independent objects and hence symbolic systems can form relationships with themselves.

Validation is about finding ways to prove the projected relationships are false. Validation is a mode of hypothesis. It is also an attempt to limit uncertainty.

There are no concepts based purely on self-perception. All concepts, no matter how silly, reaffirm the relationship between a perceiving being and a thing being perceived. So, your example of the moon being perceived as green cheese is identical, at the ontological level, with the perception that the moon is mostly made of basalt. (The case of psychosis might seem to indicate that one can have pure self-perception but there is still a distance between the person who is psychotic and their psychosis - the difficulty is that the psychotic person struggles to establish and maintain this difference as the ground for review of their experience.)

Is it a difference of degree? One could start with a hypothesis that the moon is made of green cheese and progressively, using various methods of falsification, come to a subsequent hypothesis that the moon is made mostly of basalt. Is this what you mean by "degree"? By degrees of reasoning (experiment) we come to better propositions?

I am happy to see operational differences and functional differences between the two propositions and I think that we all know how to navigate these differences in our daily lives. We aren't always right which indicates that perception is an ongoing problem that we would like to have a science to fix once and for all.

cheers from the land of soggy trifle

keith

>>> Terence Love <[log in to unmask]> 03/06/12 3:38 PM >>>
Hi Keith,

You seem to be heading down a path in which  theory is only validated by
self-perception (it is A because I think it is A)?

Two questions:

1.  Where is the role of science in that kind of theory and its validation?

2. How do you differentiate between concepts purely based on self-perception
and other means? As an example, how do you differentiate between  a
self-perception-based theory such as 'I think the moon is made of green
cheese''  and a theory based on empirical testing such as  'the moon is made
mostly of basalt rock' ? Is this a matter of ontological difference or
degree?

All the best,
Terry