Hi all

The information is very useful and has put my mind at ease, I have requested the information highlighted from the manager and will carry out a FLT medical initially, I have noted that his previous medical (before my time) states no BP as cuff too small and he was passed as fit!!!!!!

Thanks,  Julia

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark O'Connor
Sent: 21 March 2012 22:41
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Fork Trucks

Carr is correct. There is an absolute legal responsibility to declare a health issue if it might place other workers or yourself at risk

--

Dr Mark O'Connor

07970 386379

On 21 Mar 2012, at 21:13, JANE COOMBS <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Julia

I agree with most of the answers here but you may want to consider the weight limit of the seating of the Fork Lift Truck as specified by the truck manufacturer and I don't think there is a legal duty for a FLT driver to declare a health issue unless he drives on a public highway (rather than a company site).

I suggest you do a 'normal' FLT medical and suggest he has a workplace assessment if his manager is concerned about safety issues.

Good luck

Regards

Jane

Jane Coombs MSc RGN CMIOSH OHNC DMS

Director Working Well Solutions Ltd

Mobile: 07710 080947

Office: 02392 365909

email:      [log in to unmask]                       Occupational Health and Safety Advice in a Changing World

Website: www.working-well-solutions.com/

Follow my company on Twitter

Company Registered in England and Wales no 7387475

> Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:11:51 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Fork Trucks
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Good Afternoon
>
> I have been asked about a rather tricky issue and would appreciate some guidance on how to handle this, also is anyone can clarify recommendations etc with regard to this it would be much appreciated.
>
> A gentleman that works in despatch and therefore drives fork trucks regularly is causing his manager a certain amount of concern due to his weight, I have been asked to reassess him re-fitness to drive as his manager states he has got so large he cannot fit completely inside the cab of the fork truck, and he feels this is a safety issue.
> I have not actually seen this gentleman yet and intend to initially see him in my office then do a visit to see him on site, any advice would be gratefully recieved. The implications of him not being fit to drive are serious as he would then be unable to carry out his substantive post.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Julia

> Please remove this footer before replying.
>
> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html
>
> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

This electronic message contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. This electronic message is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended addressee, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited and may be unlawful. Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether inadvertent or otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality.

Although this electronic message and any attachments are believed to be free from any virus or other defect which might affect any system into which they are received or upon which they are opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and to check that they will not adversely affect its systems and data. No responsibility is accepted by Northern Foods Limited (or any member of its group) for any loss or damage arising in any way from their receipt, opening or use.

Northern Foods Limited is registered in England with company number 471864. Registered office: Trinity Park House, Trinity Business Park, Fox Way, Wakefield, WF2 8EE.

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying.