From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Packham
Sent: 15 March 2012 11:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Exit Medicals

*** WARNING ***
This message originates from outside our organisation, either from an external partner or the internet.
Please see this process on how to deal with suspicious emails.

One problem that those concerned with exit medical might wish to consider is the possibility of sub-clinical skin damage having occurred during their employment. They leave and take on a new job. Shortly afterwards they develop an occupational dermatitis. There could then be an argument that they have only been in the new job for a few days/weeks and that the damage must have occurred in the previous job (i.e. when working for you!).

It has been well established that sub-clinical irritant contact dermatitis can be detected by the reduction in hydration of the outermost layer of the skin (stratum corneum).

===

“Indeed, subclinical irritant dermatitis can be detected by early changes (reduction) in stratum corneum hydration” (from Report and Recommendations – ECVAM Workshop 36, European Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods)

===

Techniques for measuring skin hydration are not new. The first such instrument appeared in 1980 and the technique has been widely used, and validated, by literally thousands of dermatological studies.

Just as with audiometry and lung function testing, if done as part of an exit medical, skin condition measurement can demonstrate that at least they left your employment with their skin in good condition. Thus any subsequent irritant contact dermatitis would not be attributable to their employment with you.

Chris

Chris Packham

FRSPH, FInstSMM, MCMI, MIIRSM, MBICSc

EnviroDerm Services

Unit 10, Building 11, The Mews, Mitcheldean, GL17 0SN

Tel: +44 1386 832 311 (office), Mobile: +44 7818 035 898

www.enviroderm.co.uk