**apologies for any cross-posting**

I have put up a new blog post and repeating it partially here, because I am really seeking feedback, comments and thoughts:

http://simon-tanner.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/new-approach-to-measuring-impact-for.html

This is a work in progress - more my notes and queries than a proper paper, stuff will change, references will be added.

I wanted most to get this out there and to get your views, your inputs and your insights. Please comment, your thoughts are valued!

My recent research with Marilyn Deegan into the value and impact of digitised collections has shown that there is a serious lack of adequate means to assess impact in this sector and thus a lack of significant evidence beyond the anecdotal, number crunching from webometrics or evaluations of outputs rather than outcomes (http://www.kdcs.kcl.ac.uk/innovation/inspiring.html). In short, we need better evidence of impact. How has the digital resource delivered a positive change in a defined group of people’s lives or life opportunities?

In this Arcadia funded research, (http://www.kdcs.kcl.ac.uk/innovation/impact.html) we are addressing some fundamental questions in assessing the impact of digitised resources on changing lives or life opportunities. We plan to report a synthesis of methods and techniques to resolve these into a cohesive, achievable methodology for impact assessment of digitised resources.To assist and clarify our thinking and research goals we would like to offer our description of impact.

Our conception of Impact for this research can thus be described as:

the measurable outcomes arising from the existence of a digital resource that demonstrate a change in the life or life opportunities of the community for which the resource is intended.

Please comment on the blog so that we can hold all them in one place, But please comment and help shape our thinking.

All my best,

            Simon

Simon Tanner

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London

26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: www.kcl.ac.uk/ddh/ and www.kdcs.kcl.ac.uk

Twitter: @SimonTanner

Phone: +44(0)7887-691716 (direct)   +44(0)20-7848-2861 (Dept Office)

Co-Director of MA in Digital Asset Management
DDH research and teaching: my personal page