From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Mike Moore
Sent: 06 March 2012 04:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Gwydyr Forest Mines Access

A meeting was held last week following a discussion between the
Cambrian
Caving Council and the Forestry Commission regarding access to mines on
Forestry Land, it was proposed an access and conservation body be set up
with a view to providing permits to mine explorers in the Snowdonia for
access to mines on FC land. This changes to the Gwydyr Forest Mines in
the
first instance. There is a hope that mine explorers (non proffessionals}
may be exempted on condition they can provide evidence of BCA insurance.
You may recall the NAMHO had tried for years to obtain access and all
clubs
belonging to NAMHO had been requested to cease activity during those
negotiations which eventualy came to nothing and ended up with the mopst
interesting sites being blocked off with metal grills

Here is the statement from Gethin (chair)  following last Wednesday's
meeting:

Thanks to all that came along to the meeting on Wednesday, it was
certainly
fantastic to see such broad range represented in around 50-60 attendees
and
equally impressive that people managed to stay with us for 3 hours (some
even manage a pint afterwards!)

I felt the meeting was very successful, hopefully providing all those
that
attended the opportunity to hear how the group came about, and our hopes
for access to the mines within the forestry.

I would add that at this point there is still no liberal access to the
mines with the Gwydyr forest however I believe we now have a good and
representative group assembled to further this hope. A meeting with the
local forestry agent and their representatives is being arranged.

During the meeting the assembled were given an opportunity to express
both
their support and concerns for the proposed access group.

Following this discussion the constitution was worked through and
amended,
a job that needed doing, not only to promote transparently and ownership
those assembled, but also as between first publishing the constitution
events had moved on to render it somewhat outdated.

Work is continuing to re-draft the constitution, which we will make
available, together with the minutes of the meeting as soon as possible.
However in the mean time I'll try and summaries some of the key points.

It was agreed that the group should be assembled and continue
discussions
with the FC. It was also proposed that should the FC agree that the
agreement negotiated following some excellent work by the Cambrian
Caving
Council be self sustainable and sufficient then the group would be
disbanded.

The group has been re-named to the Gwydyr Mines Access and Conservation
Group to better reflect the geographical boundaries of groups initial
interests, although the group may also seek to negotiate access to other
mines should there be an issue with accessing them on a case by case
basis.
It is envisaged that these would only be mines that fall within the
LCMLA
scheme within Snowdonia. Mines outside the Gwydyr adopted by the group
would be listed individually.

Membership to the group will be open to anyone who would like to apply.
All
members would be provided access to all mines within the groups
management
within the limitations set on the group by either the FC, environmental
considerations, or qualification (with regards to professional groups
only).

Membership options would be:

* Individual (appropriate for individual explorers with appropriate
insurance),
* Club (appropriate for clubs affiliated to the CCC/BCA who may be
represented by a single representative per club at meetings),
* Professional (appropriate to Professional bodies rather than
individuals
who again may be represented by a single representative per organisation
at
a meeting) or
* Joint (who would have the same privileges as an individual member, and
would be appropriate for either a club & professional member or
individual
& professional member)

7 committee members where appointed by those who attended. The committee
represents both recreational and professional mine explores. The
committee
as it stands is:

* Chair: Gethin Thomas (Oaklands OEC)
* Secretary: Miles Moulding (Mine-Explorer & Go Below)
* Treasurer: Dena Proctor (North Wales co-ordinator of the LCMLA scheme)
* Conservation Officer (a new post proposed in the amendments to the
constitution): Tom Marshall (Recreational mine explorer and aspirant
LCMLA
instructor)
* Ordinary member: Ed Jones (Rhos y Gwaliau OEC)
* Ordinary member: Mark Richards (Blue Peris OEC)
* Ordinary member: Simon Lowe (Adit Now)

It was agreed that alterations to the constitution could be made by a
two-thirds vote of a quorate AGM or EGM.

Emphasis was made that it is the groups intentions to open access to the
mines within the Gwydyr forest not to restrict it. We will try and do
this
in as unrestrictive and simple way possible, relaying on explorers to
exercise due care and consideration as well as follow the CCC, NAMHO
guidelines for good practice and any specific code of practice for a
particular mine. It is certainly not the intention of the group to gate
or
physically restrict access to any mine, unless there is a specific
reasons
enforced upon us to do so. If there is no alternative than gating a mine
then the reasons for this will be fully publicised.

Fees where discussed. To date the group has been funded by the initial
founders, although it is appreciated that there may be, at some point in
the future, the need to seek funding. Appropriate grants may be sought,
however it may become necessary to seek funding through the membership.
would suggest that this be proportional to usage, for example I would
expect individual member contributions to be less than a professional or
club. It is certainly not the groups intention to seek any funding other
than the minimum necessary to sustain the group.

We will keep you informed of any developments.

Gethin Thomas
Chair GMACG
2nd March 2012

This email has been scanned for viruses by Netshield MXSweep.
Geotechnics Limited, Registered in England No. 1757790 at The Geotechnical Centre, 203 Torrington Avenue, Tile Hill, Coventry CV4 9AP www.geotechnics.co.uk