Following Jane’s forwarded message, this message to another list on which it appeared raised concerns about maternity services.

From: Caan, Woody [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 24 March 2012 23:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Telegraph column

Thinking of the future role of children, below, I was inspired by seeing the new Muppet film where against all odds, when they think it is too late, Kermit and Co save their beloved old Muppets Theatre.

For young people and older Voters to fight for the NHS they have to realise what a regular part of the fabric of UK life it is... tonight, millions of people watched Casualty on BBC1, not realising most US casualties have their insurance or credit card checked before staff will attend to them. The 1950s Midwives on TV have been an unexpected hit, but maternity services are one of the most vulnerable to fragmented, inequitable Commissioning. In the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, access to contraceptive services even for women with corporate health insurance is now under threat - how would millions of UK women feel if their access to professional consultations for contraception were drastically restricted or cost £150 a visit? It is the ordinariness of the NHS that makes so many voters complacent about its survival.....

my old head of department, social psychologist Michael Argyle found that for many adults older than student age, 'Happiness' centred on being able to enjoy their favourite Soap Opera on TV, with its familiar cast of characters experienced like old friends. The NHS needs creative friends in the media - perhaps even puppets.

Basil Brush, where are you?

Woody.