in a bit of random mucking about on the PTC site, i find that Mixed Blessings
abound (which, i suppose, is why it's the Theological Commons rather than the
Secular Commons).

for instance, a search for Hefele's _Histoire des conciles d'après les
documents originaux_ turns up something that looks a bit like this:

http://commons.ptsem.edu/?qtext=title%3aHistoire+title%3ades+title%3aconciles+title%3ad%27apr%C3%A8s+title%3ales+title%3adocuments+title%3aoriginaux+sort%3atitle&start=1

i.e., lots of nice hits on the title (54, though there are only about a
baker's dozen vols. to the thing), all conveniently with the same date (1907)
and **not a single one** with a volume number.

curiously enough, a search for the same title (specifically *by title*) on
http://archive.org/ yields a grotesque 74 hits --many duplicates and all
arranged in no particularly discernible order-- but there we at least do have
the vol. numbers given (who knows, maybe even reliably!):

search.php?query=title%3A%28Histoire%20des%20conciles%20d%27apr%C3%A8s%20les%20documents%20originaux%20%29

Ditto a search for the journal "Revue de l'art chrétien":

http://commons.ptsem.edu/?keywords=Revue+de+l%27art+chr%C3%A9tien&x=15&y=18&submit=true&scope=title

which yields 14 hits, none with a vol. number, but all with the convenient
date of "1857" (i.e., the date of the founding of the journal --an important
thing to know if you happen to be looking for a specific vol. [though i doubt
if the 1857 vol. itself is actually among the hits there]).

otOh, an archive.org search yields a somewhat more cumbersome 110 hits, but
the volumes are identified (who knows, perhaps even correctly!) by either year
or vol. number (with many, many duplications):

http://archive.org/search.php?query=title%3A%28Revue%20de%20l%27art%20chr%C3%A9tien%29

in other words, the Princetons didn't even bother to copy the metadata already
available on the archive.org site [DUH!].

the latter has an excuse for its crumby metadata, since they are frequently
dependent on what hapless, illiterate nerds at Google send them.

raising the question of what, eggsactly, is the Princetons' excuse?

"At least we're not Harvard"?

having Ranted thusly, i might say (out of long-suffering Christian Kindness,
if not Gnostic Buddhist Compassion) that it looks like all of the items on the
Princeton site are in a different .pdf format than those found on books.google
--i.e., one which is *vastly* easier to use, downloadable and clearer for
reading purposes (should anyone desire to actually *read* these things, rather
than just wanting to know if they are, en pricipe, On Line).

however, since it appears that everything on the PTC site is available on
archive.org --with *much* better metadata and a *much* superior search
capability-- i'd say that the Princetons' middleman site should be thoroughly
Eschewed in favor of the archive.org original.