From: Richard Blum <[log in to unmask]>

> I found it on Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog
> http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/kvk.html

>by searching Titel: Cartulaire général de l'Ordre du Temple

>several libraries in Germany

yes, it's not at all an uncommon book (though i never bought and sold a copy
of it).

i've seen it cited often in the crusade-related 2ndary literature.

but *always* with "[Marquis d']Albon" as the author --*never* with "André
Levieux," which is the author's name as given in the original posting from
Brother Izbicki.

this one, from your Karlsruhe catalog

http://tinyurl.com/7qftvtp

is the longest author citation i've ever seen: "Verfasser: Albon, Guigues
Alexis Marie Joseph André d'"

why the publisher would, essentially, change the name of the author (or even
wish to use a different part of the fellow's name, one that is *never* cited)
is, as i said, quite beyond my pay-grade to understand.

of course, it is an important publication of the original charters, not at all
uncommon in a hard copy format, and easily available on Gallica:

http://catalogue.bnf.fr/servlet/biblio?idNoeud=1&ID=36023422&SN1=0&SN2=0&host=catalogue

though you can't find it there --or anywhere else-- by searching for an author
named "André Levieux."

perhaps we should suspend judgement and wait a century or so, see how often it
appears in the 2ndary literature under the new, egalitarian author-name the
reprint publisher seems to prefer.

thanks, Richard.

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Christopher Crockett <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> > medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
> >
> > From: Laurent Brun <[log in to unmask]>
> >
> >> I am no bibliothécaire,
> >
> > Te Absolvemus
> >
> >>but our mysterious "André Levieux" is actually the Marquis d'Albon:
> >
> >> http://cths.fr/an/prosopo.php?id=107532
> >

> > "ALBON André Levieux marquis d', Guigues Alexis Marie Joseph André"
> >
> > goodness, how many names does one fellow need?
> >
> > ahhh, i see.
> >
> > his "real" name must have been "Guigues Alexis Marie Joseph André
Levieux,"
> > styled "Marquis d'Albon."
> >
> > well, why didn't they just say so in the Bn catalogue (which does NOT
> > recognize "André Levieux"):

http://catalogue.bnf.fr/servlet/biblio?idNoeud=1&ID=36023422&SN1=0&SN2=0&host=catalogue

> > ?
> >
> > i also note that the book in question here is not listed among his
> > "Publications" on the Definitive Cths page --though it must surely be his
only
> > Claim to Fame outside du Forez, du Lyonnais, et aussi du Dauphiné.
> >

> > From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
> >
> >> If we accept this apparently monophysite position (or is it
miaphysite?),

> > either way, this is a Family List and only the Missionary Position is
allowed,
> > lest the Wrath of the ListMommie be Incurred.
> >
> > in any event, it's a curious Marketing Strategy, to change the name of
the
> > author of a book which has been accepted for a century to something
infinitely
> > more obscure, in order to.....
> >
> > to *what*, eggsactly?
> >
> > 25+ years as a book dealer, and i never could understand the ins and outs
of
> > the Publishing Dodge.
> >
> > obviously to sell the reprint to Hapless Liberrians who don't know what
> > they've already got.
> >
> > Brilliant.
> >
> > no Wonder i never got Rich in the Book Bidness.

> > To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
> > to: [log in to unmask]
> > To send a message to the list, address it to:
> > To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
> > to: [log in to unmask]
> > In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
> > For further information, visit our web site:
> > http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html
>

> --
> Dr. Paul Richard Blum
> ( T.J. Higgins, S.J., Chair in Philosophy)
> Loyola University Maryland
> 4501 North Charles Street
> Baltimore, MD 21210
> 410-617-2815