Ultimately that's got to be the aim, but from our experience ( from building them)most museum sites started as either marketing lead or collections lead.

So I think if you want to get the most value from comparing real and virtual visitors you need to take the site focus into consideration.

There is a big difference between people going to a site to find out when it's open and how much, to using the site to look at parts of the collection. The latter IMHO would be areal virtual visitor.

I appreciate on many dual role sites you would need to look at analytics to find that sort of information. But on Many the site emphasis is apparent.

Cheers

Graham