From: Talis Aspire Users [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bonnie Ferguson
Sent: 08 March 2012 13:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LIS-TALIS-ASPIRE] Ongoing module creation

Dear all -

We are new adopters of Talis Aspire at the University of Kent and would like to know how other Universities keep their reading list system in sync with their VLE and student data system when new modules are created.

When we set up our tenancy with Talis over the summer, we worked with them to do a one-off import to create lists for all of the modules that existed at that point. Since then, new modules have been created at the University that need reading lists to be created.

We are looking for the best way of creating these new modules in Talis Aspire as part of our University workflow. At the moment, modules are created in our Student data system and then a script creates a course for them in Moodle. We would like a way for these modules to then be created in Talis Aspire so academics can manage them. Has anyone implemented a script like this?

Additionally, we are considering a short-term solution to allow these lists to be created manually by academics. However, we are currently using devolved constraints to give users the "list editor" role, which means that they can edit the existing lists (those imported last summer) , but cannot create new lists for new modules.

If I understand the permissions model correctly, giving our academic staff the 'List creator' role would allow the to create lists, but this is only available at a tenancy-wide level. We are a bit reluctant to give out tenancy level rights to all our academic staff as this seem very sweeping and  might lead to lists being created in the wrong areas. It might also create a support burden to look after and tidy up any mistakes that are made.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Bonnie Ferguson
Web Development Manager
University of Kent

DISCLAIMER: This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University. Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.