From: Caroline Downie [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 19 March 2012 13:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: IT in the library

I suppose what this discussion is really highlighting is that those of us who have been around a long time had a sense of our own purpose, and had more time to spend with readers and their questions whether it was how to use the photocopier, know the correct sequence for all the Harry Potter books or how to find the address of the Citizens' Advice Bureau.  Or just listen to some of our more lonely or eccentric readers.

Now no-one is quite sure what a library is for, what the jobs of staff entail, and staff are feeling pressured and stressed by uncertainty, management are trying to make savings everywhere and where are we left? Stuck and confused about what a library service is and should offer.

Caroline Downie
www.carolinedownie.co.uk