Surely this is not new, and represents but one paradigm shift along the
way? This is a journey, not an endpoint.

Supprting people to read, and in what to read?; to learn about printed
sources (a techology shift from vellum and papyrus, as much as the
ballpoint pen was from a quill and IT from Caxton) and to learn about
IT? The balance between support and tuition.

The tragedy, surely, is that we're still discussing this 10 or more
years along the way since 'The People's Network', and it was already
happening before then.

But already we face the point where Smartphones will shortly outnumber
basic mobiles - and yes, even people on low incomes seem to have these.

Libraries might move more widely to WiFi to support those and other
devices - until someone provides ubiquitouis WiFi and we don't need to
do it, and/ot it's streamed into people's homes via 'Smart TV's'.

So what will staff's role be then - 'Meeters and Greeters'? (which some
might call Kiosk Minders). Until, that is, most of whart we read will be
electronic, and all the current flurry of activity in RFID and self
servce dies away?

We all come into a job/career when it works one way - when we leave,
anything upto 40 years (or now probably more!)it shouldn't be the same,
but that is hard for people to adapt to. Where are the 'Wheeltappers'and
'Sagger Makers Bottom Knockers' now?

I once heard it said that people don't like change - then I heard that
it's not that, they just don't loke beiong changed. If they lead the
change they may be happier.

As William Gibson said:

'The future is already here - It's just not evenly disrtibuted...'

Just a philospohical thought - and mine own, and not representative of
my employer, etc. etc.

John Usher BSC Dip Lib
ICT Manager
Library and Heritage Services
Islington Council
Central Library
2 Fieldway Crescent
LONDON N5 1PF

Tel: 020 7527 6920
Mobile: 07825 098 223
Fax: 020 7527 6926
Alternative contact: Michelle Gannon - 020 7527 6907

www.islington.gov.uk

How to get to Central Library:
http://www.islington.gov.uk/Education/Libraries/Local/Central.asp