A librarian's role is to spread literacy, which now includes digital literacy. So libraries need to provide for this. Last week our library has been recording the times we assisted somebody with online information, as requested by the Society of Chief Librarians.

Ivana Curcic
Learning Support Librarian
Westminster Libraries

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:01 AM, LIS-PUB-LIBS automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Topics of the day:

 1. IT in the library (4)

Date:    Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:44:51 +0000
From:    "Riddick, Amanda" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: IT in the library

Hi,

The other day, during a very quiet time at the library, I spent a good 20 minutes helping a customer with checking-in online and printing out her boarding passes and car hire insurance, and that wasn't the first time I've helped people with IT stuff that isn't to do with the library (eg formatting, saving onto USB stick, selecting the colour printer). Do you find that you and/or your colleagues get involved with what I'd call "informal IT", ie dealing with IT queries that are unrelated to your library's services and that take place outside formal IT classes? Do you feel resentful about it, that it's taking you away from what you're really there to do, or don't mind doing this as part of your job?

I'd appreciate any feedback, but I will probably be writing an essay about this and may want to quote you (with due references and all, of course), so please let me know if you're OK about that or not.

thanks and best wishes,

Amanda Riddick

Library Assistant

MA Student, Library and Information Studies, University College London

I'm afraid that it's now generally accepted that such informal tuition is a
part of what library staff are expected to do; the only proviso being that
the time is available!

Mark