From: A general Library and Information Science list for news and discussion. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brian Kelly
Sent: 30 March 2012 09:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Views on persistent postings to this (and other LIS-) lists

For info I have now closed the survey.

There were a total of 199 responses, with 237 people accessing the survey form. A total of 71% of respondents were annoyed by the inappropriate postings, 25% indifferent and 4% who were pleased to receive such postings.  The 4% represents just 9 responses.

I hope this provides evidence of the list members' views. Note that I am not a member of other lists, such as LIS-E-RESOURCES which also seem to have been subject to large numbers of inappropriate postings. If members of such lists wish to gauge views from fellow list members I would recommend use of such a survey form rather than discussions on list - we would all have been annoyed if there had been 237 messages posted on the list!

Some further stats:

From an analysis of the first 25 results, respondents spent between 6 seconds and 1 minute 23 seconds completing the form.  Assuming an average of 30 seconds that would mean an overall total of almost 2 hours was spend collectively.

Brian