UKSG, the organisation that connects the information community, is pleased to announce the 2012 winner of its annual John Merriman Award, set up in recognition of the founder of UKSG and NASIG (the North American Serials Interest Group). Stephen Buck, E-Resources and Periodicals Librarian at Dublin City University, will receive funding from Award sponsor Taylor & Francis to attend the 2012 NASIG Conference in Nashville, Tennessee. Meanwhile, NASIG has awarded its 2012 Merriman Award to Alice Eng, Electronic Resources Librarian, University of North Florida, who will attend UKSG's Annual Conference in Glasgow.
The Award gives members of UKSG and its sibling organisation NASIG the opportunity to broaden their knowledge of issues affecting libraries, and the chance to explore innovative ideas for the strategic development of libraries. It is open to members of UKSG and NASIG, who are in a functional position within a library or information service, with direct responsibility for managing serials or e-resources, or direct contact with library users, supporting them in the use of serials or e-resources. Applicants were required to write a short paper on the topic 'E-resources in 2016: how will the landscape look from the point of view of librarians and library users?'. The Education Subcommittee of UKSG, which selects the winning applicant, noted the originality and humour of Stephen's application.
UKSG is grateful to its Merriman Award sponsor, Taylor & Francis, which makes a generous contribution toward the costs of travel, accommodation and associated expenses. Ian Bannerman, Managing Director at Taylor & Francis explains why the organisation sponsors the Award: "The UKSG and NASIG conferences provide invaluable learning and networking opportunities for librarians, publishers and agents. Budget cuts are making it harder for librarians to attend such events, particularly where overseas travel is involved, so I'm pleased that by sponsoring the Merriman Award, Taylor & Francis can help maintain vital links within our community."
"I am delighted to be given this award," comments Stephen Buck. "My first UKSG conference, in 2010, opened up a world of ideas and subjects that I hadn't previously been aware of, relating to e-resources and beyond. Being given the opportunity to attend the NASIG conference in Nashville will broaden my exposure to and awareness of the issues affecting libraries as they seek to find new models and new ways of developing periodical and e-resource collections. And while I am sure my discussions with American, and other, colleagues won't be exclusively about Discovery Tools, QR codes and Eigenfactors, this event will facilitate the building of expertise and the generation of ideas. June cannot come quickly enough."
For more information, please visit http://www.uksg.org/events/merrimanaward

Kate Price
Chair, UKSG Education Subcommittee
*******
About UKSG
UKSG exists to connect the information community and encourage the exchange of ideas on scholarly communication. It spans the wide range of interests and activities of the extended scholarly information community of librarians, publishers, intermediaries and technology vendors. In a dynamic environment, UKSG works to:
* facilitate community integration, networking, discussion and exchange of ideas
* improve members' knowledge of the scholarly information sector and support skills development
* stimulate research and collaborative initiatives, encourage innovation and promote standards for good practice
* disseminate news, information and publications, and raise awareness of services that support the scholarly information sector.
For more information, please browse www.uksg.org or contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.