-----Original Message-----
From: An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information
Community [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Elizabeth
Gillespie
Sent: Wednesday, 14 March 2012 04:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [lis-e-resources] ScienceDirect PDF problem

Hi,

We've had a very similar experience as Imperial - and have been giving
the same advice to students, which is the simplest we could come up
with.

We asked Elsevier about this first in January this year, and they then
reported that it was an Adobe issue.  They also suggested using *FoxIt
Reader *software, although our IT support didn't see why this should be
necessary, see as Adobe Reader is a generally well developed product and
we haven't had any other reports of it having any issues elsewhere.  In
the end we decided the advice on how to save was easier than telling
people to get hold of alternative software.

Best wishes
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Gillespie
Collections Librarian

Liverpool Hope University
The Sheppard-Worlock Library
PO Box 95
Liverpool
L16 9LB
0151 291 2022

Liverpool Hope University accepts no responsibility for this email, its
contents and any loss or damage arising in any way from the receipt or
use of this email and its attachments.

*
*
On 13 March 2012 14:57, Shaw, Emma L <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have been experiencing this problem for some time now at Imperial,
> and our acquisitions team have reported it to ScienceDirect on several

> occasions, but  we are yet to see it resolved. ScienceDirect claim
> it's a problem with Adobe X, however we don't seem to be having this
> problem with any of the other publisher e-journal sites/platforms,
when using Adobe X.
> Personally I think it's to do with compatibility with their website, I

> notice if you hover at the bottom of the screen the print/save options

> don't appear like they should.
>
> My impression is they are not going to try and sort this anytime soon,

> however if enough people report the problem maybe something will be
> done. I really do hope so because we keep getting more and more users
> coming to the desk about this problem, and we have enough signage as
it is.

> Our solution to users in the meantime is for Internet Explorer, to
> right click on the PDF link and select 'Save Target As' in Firefox, go
to 'File'
> in the browser menu, and select 'Save page as'.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Emma
>
> Emma Shaw
> Liaison Librarian (Medicine)
> Medical Library, LG Floor (Left of lift bank B) Chelsea & Westminster
> Hospital
> 369 Fulham Road
> London
> SW10 9NH
> Tel: 020 3315 8109
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]

This email has been scrubbed for your protection by SMX.
For more information visit http://smxemail.com