From: LGA Improvement Team [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 26 March 2012 14:31
To: Stewart David (ASHTON, LEIGH AND WIGAN PCT)
Subject: LGA Improvement Bulletin

LGA logo

Improvement Bulletin

Photo of Cllr Peter FlemingDear colleagues,

The Local Government Association (LGA) is at its most effective when its work is grounded in what councils want and what they are doing. This approach underpins our productivity programme and our priorities for 2012/13.

As the funding challenges persist many councils who already share services, have improved procurement practices and applied systems thinking will be asking 'What should we do next?'. The need to do something fresh is urgent and we are looking to work with and where appropriate fund, a group of councils enthusiastic to try out radical new approaches. If you are undertaking a different model of service delivery and would like to share your learning and experiences, please do contact us.

But when it comes to stimulating productivity and growth what doesn’t work is to have our hands tied by central prescription. Which is why the Improvement Board is not going to sign up to the Government’s proposed ‘Procurement Pledge’. Ostensibly designed to stimulate economic growth, it fails to recognise the strength of councils’ current procurement practices. It would put the sector at a severe disadvantage and it would, in our view, do nothing to help us stimulate small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)locally. So rather than sign up to Government’s view of how procurement practice should work, we will offer an alternative approach that better enables councils to support local enterprise and the voluntary sector. For more information about the content of the Government’s 'Procurement Pledge' and what we will be doing to develop a local government procurement strategy please visit the LGA website.

Yours faithfully,

Signature of Cllr Peter Fleming
Councillor Peter Fleming
Chairman, LGA Improvement Board

Stories

Improvement

Local Public Audit

The Audit Commission has recently announced the results of its process to procure local public audit which should save £250 million over five years leading to fee reductions of around 40 per cent for local public bodies. Contracts awarded by the Commission will begin on 1 September and last for five years with an option to extend for a further three years. The Commission will consult local public bodies before finalising appointments.

Improvement

The role of peer challenge

In the past month we have undertaken corporate peer challenges in councils spread far and wide from Newcastle-upon-Tyne in the north east to Cornwall. As a result 20 authorities will have had one of the new corporate peer challenges, with another 40 already booked in or in discussion and initial conversations are progressing with a large number of other councils.

We are closely monitoring the effectiveness of this new approach. We have held sounding board meetings involving leaders and chief executives of councils that have had a peer challenge along with peers who have taken part in the process. Feedback has been positive. For more information on the LGA's peer challenge offer please contact Andy Bates, Principal Adviser Peer Support.

Improvement

Shared services master class

Two, two-day residential Leadership Academy events focusing on Shared services were held in early March: one for leaders in the East of England, the other was a national one held at Warwick Conference Centre. The programme was designed to assist political leaders to understand and take the lead in this agenda. It consisted of a mix of information, tools and techniques, discussion and action learning to enable the participants to make the most of the opportunity to share experiences and plan their own way forward.

Improvement

Next Generation

The Conservative Next Generation Group have undertaken their final residential part of their programme, focusing on local government finance, personal presentation and leadership on the back foot, with contributions including IGPM Warwick, KPMG and Deloitte.

Improvement

Conservative local government conference

The Conservative Group Office and Leadership and Localism team delivered a number of debates and workshops at this conference including: Policy Briefing Q&A with the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) team, Be a councillor workshop, Learning for the 21 Century – councils’ role in adult skills and lifelong learning, and improvement surgeries with our lead peers.

Improvement

Fighting fraud locally

The LGA has been working closely with the National Fraud Authority (NFA) to develop an approach for councils to tackle fraud committed against them. Fraud against the public sector is estimated at £21 billion and £2.1 billion of this is committed against local government. This collaborative work between the LGA and the Home Office, aimed at preventing losses and protecting resources has resulted in the publication of 'Fighting fraud locally'. The NFA held several workshops in five different regions to share best practice in counter fraud in the areas of housing tenancy, council tax, procurement, insider fraud and personal budgets.

Children and young people

New funding for children's services improvement

In a strong endorsement of a sector led approach to improvement, the Department for Education (DfE) has granted the Children's Improvement Board (CIB) a further £8 million for 2012/13. This funding will enable the CIB to maintain and expand its activities, including making increased sums available to local authorities through regional allocations.

Colin Hilton has been appointed as the new Director for CIB. In taking up his appointment Colin said: "I am delighted to lead the CIB delivery team at this critical time for sector led improvement. There can be no more important mission for those in public service than to secure the future of our children and I look forward to working with colleagues to that end." Colin was a teacher before entering local government management. He was Director of Education and Leisure services in St. Helens before becoming Executive Director for Children's Services in Liverpool and then Chief Executive from 2006-10.

Children's Improvement Board

Publications

Self-assessment tool for libraries

A self-assessment guide has been launched to help councils undertake successful review and change processes in library services. The guide, based on lessons learnt from the Future Libraries Programme, is aimed at elected members, corporate managers and library managers. It outlines four possible models for delivering more efficient and effective library services and identifies 10 key ingredients for a successful change process. The 'check and challege' self-assessment guide is available on the LGA website.

Consultation on benchmarking residents’ perceptions of local government

Feedback from the sector has suggested there is demand for benchmarked data on resident satisfaction. For the LGA and London Councils, responding to this demand demonstrates that, rather than central government imposing data requirements on the sector, the sector is able to decide for itself which data to collect. We have therefore published a consultation on a proposed set of resident satisfaction questions. The intention is that these questions will be used on a voluntary basis by authorities in their own local surveys and, providing the methodology meets certain quality criteria, that they could then be used by the sector for benchmarking.

I would encourage you to respond to the consultation to help ensure that the final set of questions and the guidance for how the data should be collected meet the needs of local government overall. Please visit LG Inform to find out more and to participate in the consultation which closes on Thursday 19 April.

Events

Reforming public services – meeting challenges; driving change
14 May 2012 | London
This is a high profile event for the public sector and delivery partners to come together at a critical time to hold a thought-provoking debate on the public service reform agenda. In the face of unprecedented economic challenges, vastly reduced public spending and rising demand for services, councils and local delivery partners have to radically rethink the way public services are delivered. Public services need to become more affordable, give better value for money and put individuals and families in control of the services they use. The challenge we now face is how to make that happen faster, better and for more services.

Your programme area at the LGA annual conference
26-28 June 2012
| Birmingham
Don’t miss out on key sessions at this year’s LGA annual conference. The LGA's annual conference is the biggest event in the local government calendar. It also is one of the biggest political conferences of the year regularly attracting over 1,100 delegates. A list of those sessions specifically targeted at the Improvement programme area is listed below, but this only tells part of the story. Come along to conference and take part in your choice of over 40 plenary, workshop and fringe sessions; network with over 90 exhibitors and share experiences with key players across the local government sector.

Tuesday 26 June – 16.45-17.45
W2 Creative Councils – The Discipline of Innovation
This workshop will debate how disciplined local government is at innovating. Drawing on a rich stream of learning one year on from the launch of the joint NESTA/LGA creative councils concept – speakers will share both the detail of exciting ideas for service transformations emerging and illuminate some of the innovation building blocks local government appears less comfortable with (eg horizon scanning, prototyping etc)

Wednesday 27 June – 11.15-12.15
W16 Productivity and procurement
The LGA are funding a small number of councils to kick-start real and practical projects, that will promote innovative approaches to procurement resulting in replicable efficiencies in the following areas of major spend: 1. Social care; 2. Property; 3. Highways; 4. Waste and 5. Corporate services.

This workshop will look at some of the projects early findings as well as how a more strategic and collaborative approach can help the sector make savings to how they procure goods and services.

This will help elected members and senior officers ensure their council is managing their buying power effectively as well as delivering on local priorities including social and economic regeneration.

Thursday 28 June – 9.15-10.15
W18 Self improvement – more than an ‘add on’
Following a lengthy period of consultation and discussion the sector has signed up to a new approach to monitoring and managing its own performance based on stronger local accountability, self assessment and sector led improvement – with support provided by the LGA.

But what does this mean in practice? How can we develop a culture of openness and transparency to the public, continuous self assessment and of being willing to offer and receive peer support and challenge – so that these behaviours become more than an 'add on' to 'normal business'?

This workshop will explore the hallmarks, characteristics and behaviours of a self improving authority – and how councils can use the support and tools the LGA is providing.

Thursday 28 June – 13.00-13.45
F2 The evolved role of peer challenge in improving councils
The Comprehensive Area Assessment has been abolished. ‘Taking the lead’ sets out local government’s own approach to improvement with the aim of helping councils strengthen local accountability and tackle the way they improve services.

This session will explore the outcomes from the first phase of the evolved peer challenge offer and the impact it is having on improving performance.

Thursday 28 June – 13.00-13.45
F5 Taking the lead – councils improving adults and children’s services
Councils are judged on how well they serve their resident not on how many boxes they can tick for government departments. Real improvement in services comes from councils being self-aware and willing to tackle their own difficulties. Both adults and children’s services have programmes to support self improvement: councils owning problems and dealing with them with the help of their peers. This workshop will showcase two improvement stories from councils and explore why and how self improvement works.

Sharing ideas

Creative Councils

On 22 and 23 February the second ‘Creative Camp’ was held In Birmingham for all 17 Creative Councils. This was an opportunity for them to share experiences on their respective progress and any shared learning. The main feature was for each of the 17 Creative Councils to ‘pitch’ their ideas and progress to a panel of peer representatives from fellow Creative Councils, NESTA and LGA. Other very useful sessions included themed discussions around the following:

  • moving ideas into implementation
  • managing partners and stakeholders
  • not losing sight of the problem in designing the solution
  • developing ideas to appropriate scale
  • managing the change of pace required.

For more information visit the Creative Councils Group on Knowledge Hub

Shared services – next phase

Many councils have worked together to share chief executives, management teams and services to improve services and release efficiency savings. Councils will need to think very differently in the future in order to address the next round of financial constraints, meaning that previously unpalatable and difficult options may be the only option. We have published a new report – Crossing the border: Research into shared chief executives – that looks at the ingredients needed to ensure sharing chief executives can be a recipe for success.

We now want to work with a small number of councils that are looking to a new 'modus operandi' in how the public sector delivers services locally. If your council has already shared services and management; applied systems thinking and LEAN processes; and improved procurement practices and is ready for the challenge we would like to hear from you. The LGA can support up to three clusters of councils in this programme, so if you are at the vanguard of radically rethinking how to deliver public services please contact [log in to unmask] or visit the LGA website.

In the Knowledge Hub

LG Inform on the Knowledge Hub

To support the ongoing development of LG Inform we have started up a group on the Knowledge Hub. This is intended to be a place were we can share information about LG Inform including our plans for the next version, but more importantly collect your thoughts and ideas. There are several forums running at the moment in the group to discuss topics such as sickness absence, Audit Commission VFM profile and a consultation of benchmarking data on resident satisfaction. We would welcome your comments on these.

There are blogs on topics such as browsers, metrics and help guides. We are starting to work on the next version of LG Inform with some initial customer journeys and testing the usability of the site. We will shortly be sharing the learning from this on the group and would like to get your thoughts on how to take LG Inform forward.

KHub icon

LG Inform Knowledge Hub

Contact us

Local Government House
Smith Square
London, SW1P 3HZ

Email: [log in to unmask]
Telephone: 020 7664 3000
Fax: 020 7664 3030

LGA logo

© 2012 Local Government Association | www.local.gov.uk

Privacy policy | To unsubscribe from this bulletin or change your details please sign in to your account.

Thank you for your co-operation.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail