I think that there's a recommendation from the Wilson Review for a range of testing on entry to HE

Caveat. I'd never heard of the Wilson review before it was mentioned in a meeting yesterday so I may be wrong. I don't think it's a legal requirement though

Yet.

Ed

On 20 Mar 2012, at 13:23, "Vicki Dale" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi All,
> This is my first posting to the LDHEN community so please don't flame me if I commit a beginner's mistake ;)
>
> I'm a Learning Development Officer at the Royal Veterinary College, and what I'm after is sort of related to an earlier posting 'IT support in UK HE' but slightly different. I've heard from a colleague that it's a legal requirement for all new first year students in UK HE to pass an IT baseline test. Is this true?
>
> We're currently looking at our LD provision and trying to take a more coordinated approach to assessing and providing training in baseline skills in ICT, numeracy, literacy and plagiarism. I'm aware of the BKSB software (www.bksb.co.uk) which offers students the opportunity to diagnose their level of numeracy/literacy and ICT skills and to subsequently complete modules to try to upskill themselves. Is anyone aware of other comparable packages or tools that would help facilitate this more integrated approach to basic skills development?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Vicki Dale
DISCLAIMER: This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University. Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.