Apologies for duplication, if any
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 5:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: CFA: Our Shared Past: A collaborative grants for world history
curriculum reform in Europe, MENA, N. America

From: Thomas Asher [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Call for Applications: grants for world history curriculum reform in Europe,
MENA, N. America

Our Shared Past: A collaborative grants program offered by the British
Council and the Social Science Research Council

The British Council and the Social Science Research Council are pleased to
announce the launch of Our Shared Past, a collaborative grants program to
encourage new approaches to world history curriculum and curricular content
design in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, and North America. The next
deadline is May 31, 2012. To learn more, visit the program webpage at:
http://www.ssrc.org/fellowships/our-shared-past/.

Our Shared Past is premised on the notion that many of the categories used
to frame and teach world history-civilizations, nations, religions, and
regions-occlude as much as they reveal. Although there have been successful
attempts at incorporating recent historical scholarship in world history
writing, the core of world history instruction continues to be shaped by
civilizational, national, and regional narratives that emphasize discrete
civilizations and traditions frequently set at odds with one another at the
expense of historical and material connections and continuities.

Our Shared Past grants will promote the development of international
scholarly communities committed to analyzing history curriculum and
reframing the teaching of world history through the identification of new
scholarship and the development of new curricular content that illustrate
shared cultural, economic, military, religious, social, and scientific
networks and practices as well as shared global norms and values that inform
world history and society.

Our Shared Past is a program of the British Council and the Social Science
Research Council with support provided by Carnegie Corporation of New York.

Eligibility
Grants will be made to research teams or research centers on US university
campuses, including, but not limited to, Title VI National Resource Centers.
While we especially encourage research teams/consortia that include partner
institutions from the United Kingdom and/or the Middle East/North Africa
region, the principal investigator must be based at a US university.

Funding Priorities
Funds are available to projects that develop robust networks of faculty who
possess the expertise to study existing world history curriculum (K-14,
i.e., at pre-collegiate and collegiate levels) in a specific national or
regional setting and who are positioned to propose alternative curriculum
design based on that scholarship.

Priority consideration will be given to applicants with a demonstrated
ability to reform curriculum design and identify partner
organizations/individuals that can help to put scholarly content or specific
recommendations in the hands of educators and policymakers who can influence
curriculum reform at national and local levels. In the case of public
events, this may include identifying non-university partners who can
successfully draw appropriate audiences to the theme as well as partners who
will disseminate research findings strategically.

Application Process
Applications must be submitted online through the SSRC application portal,
which is accessible at: http://www.ssrc.org/fellowships/our-shared-past/. No
hard copies will be accepted. All applications are due by May 31, 2012.

Additional Information and Questions
For further information, please contact the program directly at
[log in to unmask] This Program is directed by Thomas Asher, Program Director at
the Social Science Research Council, and Emmanuel Kattan, Program Manager at
the British Council.