Dear Richard,

We have recently been looking at displacement gradients and differential
exhumation on a set of normal faults in the Gulf of California rift.
Maximum finite displacement was not as high as in your case, but we did
see increases in fault displacement from <1-2km to ~7-9km over an
along-strike distance of about 10-15km, and this too is accompanied by a
change from high- to low-angle normal faulting (although there are no
mylonites exposed). In our case, the faults are highly curviplanar and
exhibit a series of antiformal/synformal megamullions with different
"fold" limbs showing different fault kinematics. We attributed both the
megamullions and the changes in fault kinematics to the constrictional
strain regime of the PA-NA plate boundary.

Have a look at the following papers (sorry for the shameless
advertising) for additional details on the structural and
thermochronological evolution (and stay tuned for a paper on the
stratigraphic evolution of the supra-detachment basin currently in review):

Seiler, C., Fletcher, J.M., Quigley, M.C., Gleadow, A.J.W., and Kohn,
B.P., 2010, Neogene structural evolution of the Sierra San Felipe, Baja
California: Evidence for proto-gulf transtension in the Gulf Extensional
Province? Tectonophysics, v. 488, p. 87-109.
Seiler, C., Fletcher, J.M., Kohn, B.P., Gleadow, A.J.W., and Raza, A.,
2011, Low-temperature thermochronology of northern Baja California,
Mexico: Decoupled slip-exhumation gradients and delayed onset of oblique
rifting across the Gulf of California. Tectonics, v. 30, p. TC3004.

King regards,
Christian

--
Dr Christian Seiler