Hi Ahmed
Here in NZ we have some old Bruntons that had this problem, and
someone twisted copper wire around one end of the needle to correct
the weighting... its cumbersome but does seem to work.
Virginia

On 9/03/2012, at 11:04 PM, ahmed abusharib wrote:

> Dear Colleagues
>
> Actually I bought a new Brunton Compass and when i tried to use it
> in the filed here in South Africa, it seemed that the needle does
> not move freely!
> Should I reverse the weight attached to south-seeking end of the
> needle? or what to do ?
>
> Can anybody help me how to solve this problem!
>
> Thanks
> Cheers
> Ahmed
>

> Dr. A. Abu Sharib
> Geology Department
> Faculty of Science,
> Beni-Suef University,
> Beni-Suef, Egypt.
> Salah Salem Street.
> http://www.bsu.edu.eg/
> Tel: 01518793903

Dr Virginia Toy
Geology Department
University of Otago
Leith Walk (courier) or PO Box 56 (postal)
Dunedin 9054
New Zealand
Ph: +64 3 479 7506 or +64 21 127 1012
Email: [log in to unmask]