(With apologies for multiple listings)

Dear Colleagues,

It is my privilege to announce the Mineralogical Society of America Distinguished Lecturers for 2012-13: Julia Baldwin, Matt Kohn, and Hans-Peter Schertl.  Their affiliations and lecture titles are:

Julia Baldwin (University of Montana)
1. Metamorphic phase diagrams and geochronology: You can’t have one without the other
2. When the continental crust gets really hot: the petrology of ultrahigh temperature metamorphism

Matt Kohn (Boise State University)
1. How to become a fossil: a geochemist's guide
2. Making the Himalaya: oozing, squashing or sliding?

Hans-Peter Schertl (Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum)
1. A time machine for rocks: Cathodoluminescence microscopy of metamorphic and magmatic minerals.
2. How do mountains form? The critical evidence from small-scale petrological observation.

I invite you to request a visit by an MSA lecturer to your institution during the next academic year by following the instructions below.  I will accommodate as many requests as possible. Flexibility in your schedule is very helpful.  Tours will be arranged in North America and Europe (broadly defined).  We encourage requests from colleagues at primarily undergraduate institutions and institutions outside North America.  The MSA covers Lecturer travel to and from your institution, but host institutions are expected to cover local costs, including room and meals.  We also appreciate your help with local travel.

If your institution is interested in requesting a visit, please send your request to Steve Dunn at [log in to unmask].  The Lecture Program is designed to run from September 2012 through May 2013. Lecturer requests received by May 4, 2012, will be given priority.  Late applications will be considered on a space-available basis.  In making your request please include:

1.  Airport proximity and travel time to your institution.

2.  The name of a contact person at your institution for the months of May and June when schedules will be assembled.

3.  Contact e-mail addresses and phone numbers.

4.  Preferred Lecturer, and flexibility.

5.  Preferred semester and/or month for the visit, including flexibility.

Please note that because of travel and schedule constraints it is normally not possible to satisfy requests for specific dates such as seminar days.  I look forward to receiving your request.

Best regards,

Steve Dunn
MSA Distinguished Lecture Program Coordinator

http://www.minsocam.org/MSA/Lecture_Prog.html