Hi Mark,

   Thanks so much for your response - I don't think that editing nodif_brain_mask would accomplish what I'm trying to do. I'm not trying to put holes in the final result, just in one or two of the many DW volumes, preserving the other DW directions.

   What It comes down to is: If I know that only one slice in one DW image is bad, but the rest are good, do I have any recourse? Or do I have to toss out the entire dataset?

   What I really need is some kind of 4D nodif_brain_mask, with a separate mask for each DW volume. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks again,
-Dan