This looks like you don't have a working version of X11 installed. It should come pre-installed with Mac OS X 10.6, but I have seen instances where the install has broken. Most often this is because the computer has had the XQuartz open source X11 project installed - early versions of this could be broken by Apple OS updates.

If you know you have installed XQuartz (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/) in the past, then I suggest you re-install this. If you haven't then, check that you have installed X11 from your OS install disk - run the 'Optional Installs' installer you can find inside 'Optional Installs' on your OS X disk. Tick X11 in the Applications section to install it (see attached image).

Duncan

--
Duncan A B Mortimer DPhil MChem
               Computing Officer, FMRIB Centre, University of Oxford,