Dear Leslie,

No, you should definitely *not* be including any activation threshold masks with the fdr command.

FSL's fdr command needs to know where the brain is and you use the -m option to tell it where it is.  (There is a heuristic to guess where the brain is if -m isn't used, but that is to be avoided IMHO).   Also, this fsl_fdr.sh may save you some keystrokes (and generates blobs-on-brains overlays too).

-Tom