Stephanie and colleagues,
Please see a response from PI of FOCUS.  I think this type of response should become a norm from all investigators around the world, and we should truly appreciate Dr. Carson's engagement in this open public discourse setting an example for new bar for transparency about clinical research ( which is what EBM is all about).
Ben Djulbegovic
----

1. The protocol is on the NEJM website.  I can forward it to you if you wish, but I am on a train the internet connection is poor.
2.  To the skeptic...check out the protocol to see that the outcomes were defined a-priori and sample size calculations were performed for whatever is worth which I don't think is much now that the trial is done.  Evaluate power by the width of confidence intervals.
3.  We apriori defined secondary and tertiary outcomes and state that we would need an alpha of 0.01 (99% confidence intervals) to consider significant.  It was our way to address, at least in part, multiple comparisons.
4.  We designated some outcomes as secondary and others tertiary outcomes.  You will note that both in the paper and protocol we identified death, MI, and unstable angina as the most important secondary outcome.  This was based on our view of that is extremely important clinical event.  We did not make it out primary outcome because we did not collect troponin levels in our pilot and we did not know what the event rates were likely to be.  We did not want our primary outcome to be under powered.
5.  We have a large number of secondary and tertiary outcomes to account for the events that we thought were clinically important.  There was a debate what was most important and I came to the conclusion that the answer to that question varied by doc and speciality.  We observed that orthopedics and geriatrics really liked function.  Cardiology really liked MI, death.  Others really liked infections, chf, disposition, length of stay, etc.  In the end we tried to collect as many of the clinically important outcomes we could and presented to the medical community a complete picture.
6.The composite outcomes were chosen a-priori.  MI/unstable angina and death is a typical cardiology outocmes that combines ACS and death.  MI, infection, clot etc were chosen to provide overall rate of bad outcomes.  For example MI, pneumonia, death were combined because more blood was hypothesized to reduce MI but might increase infection
7.  We also designated MI outcome and death as well several other outcomes as secondary outcomes because we could evaluate them blinded to treatment status...and what we had good power (at least in some outcomes).   In contrast, our tertiary outcomes were mostly in-hospital events that were recorded from information in the chart and were classified based on data collected by research nurses.  Those same nurses were not blinded to treatment group.  Also many of these outcomes were expected to be uncommon and under powered. Also, part of the motivation of this classification was for grantsmanship purposes  since we made it clear to all that there were some limitations of these outcomes.  Many are uncommon events with low power.

Jeff

PS...stroke is certainly important but we did not have a compelling reason to think it was related to anemia or transfusion.  In contrast, we were very concerned that heart has special vulnerability to anema...thus MI was thought to be more important.