Hi Hilda,

I can probably do a little maths myself. At the School of Population Health where I work, we publish 300 (average) research papers/year. Minimum cost in OA journals = 1500 x 300 = almost half a million dollars per year. And this is just one school within the Faculty of Health Sciences. Subscription to  the main journal databases range from 300,000 per year to 1.5 million per year (Elsevier). OA for research intensive universities is not cheap and may in fact grossly exceed the subscription budget. Yes, I agree that there should be a "toll" for publishers thus breaking the cycle of unlimited profits but asking authors to pay is not a solution to this issue.

Suhail