From: Richard Saitz <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, 25 March 2012, 12:40
Subject: Re: Perils of open access

Colleagues,
I appreciate the thoughtful (open...) exchange of ideas on this topic.

One thing I haven't seen fleshed out so much is what the cost of publishing
a research article should be and who should pay for it.  It seems to me
there is a cost associated with it and although it is easy to say a charge
to an author seems "expensive" I would be interested in knowing what the
cost is.

I anticipate the answer should be related to what we expect of published
articles. Some very high quality journals have statistical and illustration
editors and editors who are paid. In addition to infrastructure for
manuscript management and editing, and peer review there are production
steps and indexing and archiving all of which require a fair amount of human
skilled capital. Maintaining and operating a server indefinitely with useful
search functions etc is not a small or inexpensive endeavor.  If we add up
those costs, they should be related to any fees charged for publication. I
don't know if that exercise would lead to a conclusion that the charges we
are seeing are high or low or about right.

My conclusion is that good quality journal publishing costs money and
someone has to pay for it if we want it. So then the question turns to who
should pay?    If the research is funded (public or private) perhaps those
funds should include the cost of disseminating the results.  If not funded,
then someone still has to pay.  It can be the author, or the reader.  There
don't seem to be too many other options (other options are fancier versions
of author or reader--like institutions or governments or groups of
authors/readers).  In any case, it doesn't strike me that OA vs traditional
subscription is clearly right or wrong. They are two different ways of
paying for something that costs money.  We should probably move the debate
to the benefits and harms of both based on evidence...

Best
Rich