Dear Richard,

You question was covered in a 2004 report commissioned by the Wellcome Trust:
'Costs and Business Models in Scientific Research Publishing'
http:[log in to unmask]

There was also a very good Editorial on the subject by the Editors in the very first issue of the Journal of Open Medicne in 2007:
Why Open Medicine?
http://www.openmedicine.ca/article/view/74/3

Regards,

Ash