So is it really just different terms, while the figures are actually the same? But RR is usually used to show a constant mean, which like linear regression is between -1 and 1 [averaged over time to appear constant] while HR is presented as a curved regression that can show changes over time in the mean survival rates between -1 to 1?

Jo

________________________________
 From: Paul Elias <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]; jo kirkpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, 14 March 2012, 15:07
Subject: Re: Interpretation of hazard ratios

these questions are difficult to answer since there is so much one can talk on each...to me in the broad sense there is no difference between harzard ratio and relative risk...and I dont pretend to be the expert but its my view at this time...

both are computed to compare the chance or probability of an event happening in 2 (or groups. Thus f the relative risk (RR) or hazard ratio (HR) is 1.0, then the two groups have the same chance of having whatever the study is measuring, be it sudden death or the like. The difference to me is in the method they are computed...RR is done by the ratio of 2 risks/rates or incidence of disease or outcome in the exposed over the incidence in the unexposed (a/a+b) /(c/c+d)

while the harzard ratio is computed by looking at the ratio of 2 harzards based on 2 survival curves...survival analysis where 2 different groups (A vs B) are followed over time ...some argue that RR is a harzard ratio averaged over time....

Best,

Paul E. Alexander