I am having trouble finding out exactly what are these subtle but important difference between Hazard and Risk ratios, can anyone illustrate these better than the resources I have found? The Cochrane Handbook says: [if I understand it correctly] Hazard ratios are similar to relative risk/odds ratios except Hazard ratios refer to instantanious risk that may be subject to continuous change, while in the RR OR the risk remains constant.

Is this about right?

Jo

From: Paul Elias <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 14 March 2012, 13:20
Subject: Re: Interpretation of hazard ratios

good explanations by Ted and Jo...some more...

Hazard ratios are commonly used when presenting results in
clinical trials involving survival data, and allow hypothesis
testing. They should not be considered the same as relative
risk ratios.

When hazard ratios are used in survival analysis, this may have
nothing to do with dying or prolonging life, but reflects the
analysis of time survived to an event (the event may, in
some instances, include cure).

A hazard is the rate at which events happen, so that the
probability of an event happening in a short time interval is the
length of time multiplied by the hazard. Although the hazard
may vary with time, the assumption in proportional hazard
models for survival analysis is that the hazard in one group
is a constant proportion of the hazard in the other
group. This proportion is the hazard ratio.

The hazard ratio is an expression of the
hazard or chance of events occurring in the
treatment arm as a ratio of the hazard of the
events occurring in the control arm. The term
hazard ratio is often used interchangeably
with the term relative risk ratio to describe
results in clinical trials. This is not strictly
correct as there are subtle and important
differences. It is useful to understand the
meaning of the term and also be able to
identify when it is used appropriately. Hazard
ratios are increasingly used to express effects
in studies comparing treatments when
statistics which describe time-to-event or
survival analyses are used.

this is really good...I have found and used...

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/painres/download/whatis/What_are_haz_ratios.pdf

Best,

Paul E. Alexander