I recently did a similar search to explore the efficacy of food supplements for memory and cognition. You need to look outside the evidence on the company website, which was selected [and for all we know might have been funded by them] to promote their own product. I found there was a general consensus: fish oil and ginko biloba seemed to be most effective for memory. Food supplements appear to be useful for a limited time, especially in people who for various reasons have not been having a varied and balanced diet and have vitamin deficiencies but a course of natural multivitamins containing the B group is probably as good as anything.

I don't believe that we need this vast range of fruit and veg. 5 a day is plenty, when I was growing up in the 50s we had meat [or fish] and two veg [it would be: cabbage, or carrots, or peas, and potatoes]. We got fruit once a week [if we were lucky] and by fruit I mean apples and oranges; bananas and even grapes were rather exotic. Even salad only had 3 veg in it: lettuce, tomato and cucumber. Internationally some of the healthiest cultures, known for longevity have very limited diets, such as Inuits, Mongolians, Siberians and Tibetans. When I was ill all I could eat was apple pie and custard. This lasted for about four years and was replaced by toast and jam for another two years before I could eat normal food.

Jo

________________________________
 From: Anoop Balachandran <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, 9 March 2012, 13:39
Subject: Fruits & Vegetable Supplement

Hi everyone,

I don't know if you have heard about 'Juice Plus'.

From their website " Juice Plus+® is whole food based nutrition, including juice powder concentrates from 17 different fruits, vegetables and grains. Each ingredient is specially selected to provide a broad range of nutritional benefits".

"The  (USDA) recommends we eat 7 to 13 servings of fruits and vegetables every day. Most people don't come anywhere close. Clinically proven Juice Plus+ helps you bridge the gap between what you should eat and what you do eat, every day."

So most people are told that if you supplement with Juice Plus, you are getting your quota of fruits & vegetables. Here is their research page:https://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/content/ResearchShows.soa?site=lh61867

What I think:

1. None of the research looks at any meaningful outcomes. They are all looking at surrogate measures.
2. Most studies didn't have a control group to compare with a cheap multi-vitamin capsule. You probably could see all the supposed improvements with a multi-vitamin.
3. There is a risk of harm considering the recent trials of Vitamin E ,Selenium and beta carotene. The risk could be potentially higher since there is no estimate of percentage values of different vitamins and minerals listed.
4. Most of the research is funded by the company itself.

I would love to hear comments from anyone on their research.