There has always been bias in research to those with more money, long
before Open Access business models. You have to have a publish worthy paper
in the first place and that happens when research is funded. It takes money
to provide the resources necessary to apply for and get grants in the first
place.

I hope there is not the implication that Open Access is
especially appealing to libraries because of cost. Libraries are paid for
by their institutions. Really, the money is all coming from the same pot
but Open Access allows more people to access the information and thus
stretches the impact of that money.

--
Susan Fowler, MLIS
Medical Librarian

Evidence at Becker:
http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/ebm

Mobile Resources Guide:
http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/mobileresources

Becker Medical Library, Washington University in St. Louis
314-362-8092