There's still time to register for the Scottish ....
SPRUCE Digital Preservation Mashup, Marriott Hotel, Glasgow G3 8RR 16-18 April 2012

... but hurry because places are filling quickly!

http://www.dpconline.org/events/details/40-SpruceGlasgow?xref=41

Sustainable PReservation Using Community Engagement (SPRUCE) project has been funded by JISC to inspire, guide, support and enable HE, FE and cultural institutions to address digital preservation gaps; and to use the knowledge gathered from that activity to articulate a compelling business case for digital preservation.  We aim to foster a vibrant and self-supporting community of digital preservation practitioners via a mixture of online interaction and face to face events.

To get the ball rolling we are organising a series of free events around the UK (based on the successful AQuA Project) that will provide support and technical expertise to address the real digital preservation challenges that institutions face. The best work from event attendees will be awarded funding to develop the activity and embed it within business as usual processes. £60k is available for these awards.

Over 3 days a diverse community will come together to discuss, test, code (don't worry non-techies we won't force you to code), plan, and share challenges related to the new types of content entrusted to libraries, archives, and museums to preserve and manage.  The focus is around community, communication, and learning from one another for we definitely can't go it alone in the new landscape of digital content.  The result will be practical digital preservation tools which meet your specific needs and which are likely to be useful more widely.

Who should come

Anyone interested in digital collections in an archive, library, museum, data centre, repository or any other sensible context.  If you're worried about how your collections will survive the next shift in technology, or you have some idea how you can do that, then we'd love to know.  We are looking for teachers, learners, researchers, archivists, curators, librarians, open source developers, digitizers, collection managers, repository staff, conservators and creators: basically people with a can do attitude willing to try out new tools and techniques to manage digital collections and content, and who are interested in making sure that this content is available tomorrow.  Although the funding comes from higher education we know that we benefit from solutions and ideas from across the public and private sector.  So, as long as you are willing to share and get involved, and so long as you are interested in the long term prospects for your data then we'd love to meet you.

We're going to run events in the south later in the year, so for this event we want to encourage participation from Scotland, Northern Ireland and Northern England

.

What do you mean a 'mashup'?

A mashup is an event that brings together people with different skills.  Participation at a SPRUCE event is mandatory. Observers are not allowed! But attending an event will give you the opportunity to get hands on with managing digital content, identifying concrete challenges and solving them. All inside three days flat! Our expert facilitators will be on hand to help your through the event, as will your fellow attendees with whom you'll be working.

--
Dr William Kilbride FSA
Executive Director

44 (0)141 330 4522
http://www.dpconline.org/

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent and does not constitute legal advice.  We cannot accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the DPC.  Registered Office, Innovation Centre, University Way, York Science Park, Heslington, YORK YO10 5DG Registered in England No: 4492292