Jane,

I agree that "RDF is but one way". I routinely use UML class diagrams when I'm trying to sort out a conceptual model, both on my own and when I'm working with domain experts. Somehow seeing the domain expert's jargon packaged as bits of graphics and populated with use case-based sample instance data makes reality clearer for everyone. When the model stabilizes, converting the graphical UML classes, attributes, and associations into OWL classes, datatype properties, and objecttype properties is a trivial task. Converting the sample instance data into OWL-compliant RDF is just as easy. There are some bells and whistles in both paradigms that don't map easily (e.g. rdfs:subPropertyOf), but if the person doing the conversion knows the limitations, it's not a big problem.

Jeff