Dear all,

I’m keen to get some advice on managing the potential disclosure of criminal activity when conducting qualitative research. My sample includes migrant women living in the UK with varying immigration statuses, some of whom may be 'undocumented'. My recent ethics application has been conditionally approved subject to the assertion that I will make it clear to participants that I do “not wish to learn of any criminal activity (on the part of the participant or others) that has not already been dealt with by the Courts… With the participants being aware that anonymity could not be guaranteed in the event of a criminal disclosure”.

This raises a number of concerns not least exacerbating existing challenges of gaining the trust of an already ‘hard to reach group’. Does anyone have any experience of managing anything similar or can offer any advice/references?

Many thanks,
Menah

--
Menah Raven-Ellison