Well, you know that in a truly free-market information economy underpinned by ubiquitous computing, in which everything and everyone is just another node in the network, you've got to sell what you have. And if all you have to sell is your presence, your location and your privacy... then people will sell it. We will see more and more of this kind of thing...

David MW.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jen Gieseking <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:50
Subject: Re: Homeless Hotspots
To: [log in to unmask]

> There as already a public outcry regarding this is already under way:
> http://gawker.com/5892662/how-the-stupid-idea-of-using-homeless-
> people-as-wifi-hotspots-conquered-south-by-south-west
> JG
>
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Jonathan Cloke
> <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
> > One of the weirdest things I've come across in many a year... "New
> > York-based advertising agency BBH Labs introduced a trial run
> of its new
> > project, called "Homeless Hotspots," at the tech startup
> conference in
> > Austin, which started Friday. While potentially practical, the pilot
> > program isn't exactly getting rave reviews from everyone.
> Wired magazine
> > reports that the homeless individuals hawking the service were
> recruited> from a local shelter and are walking around carrying
> MiFi devices
> > (techspeak for mobile WiFi hotpots)" (Slate, March 12, 2012).
> >
> > Have a look - http://homelesshotspots.org/
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Dr Jon Cloke
> > Lecturer/Research Associate
> > Geography Department
> > Loughborough University
> > Loughborough LE11 3TU
> >
> > Office: 01509 228193
> > Mob: 07984 813681
>

> --
> Jen Gieseking
> Instructional Technology Fellow, Macaulay Honors College
> Ph.D. Candidate in Environmental Psychology, The Graduate Center
> of the
> City University of New York
> www.jgieseking.org
> www.spatiallyinclined.org

Dr David Murakami Wood
Canada Research Chair (Tier II) in Surveillance Studies | Surveillance Studies Centre
Associate Professor | Department of Sociology | Cross-Appointed in Department of Geography
Queen's University | Ontario
e-mail: [log in to unmask] | blog: http://ubisurv.wordpress.com

Editor-in-Chief | Surveillance & Society | http://www.surveillance-and-society.org

Trustee | Surveillance Studies Network | http://www.surveillance-studies.net