I have a single Twitter presence and that is both professional and
personal. I've been interested to see how others use Twitter though as I
signed up early when that blend was more standard. It's a tricky
decision as a blended account needs to be real and personal but what you
post does reflect on your organisation. I think generally that's not an
issue - and even a personal only account reflects on your employer - but
it can make the process of tweeting feel a bit different for some. I do
actually have a second Twitter profile in case I ever needed to split my
tweets but I have an established following and a clear blended
work/personal voice which is why I've never used that second profile.

One thing I do advise my colleagues is to keep their tweets quirky -
part of what works on Twitter is the little details, personal moments,
photos of dinner, etc. that turn the tweets from an information update
to an engaging update. People are at the heart of any social media so
even on an organisational account some degree of personality can be
really useful for engaging your followers, for really building up
dialogue. But then again Twitter can also be used like a succinct RSS
feed of sorts and those tweets can certainly remain very functional and
still be highly valued.

I would be very interested to hear how many do have separate work and
personal Twitter accounts too.

- Nicola.

--
Nicola Osborne
Social Media Officer

EDINA website:
http://www.edina.ac.uk/

t: 0131 651 3873
e: [log in to unmask]

a: EDINA, The University of Edinburgh, Causewayside House, 158-162 Causewayside, Edinburgh EH9 1PR