I think that's a really good idea. I know that there are people out there with more subject knowledge and it would be helpful to access it

On 29/03/2012 12:37, Librarian wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

I’m kind of doing this with volunteers – I created a list of subject terms (not LOC – it was too hard!) and then volunteers with a knowledge of a particular subject area (such as railways, geology, electrical engineering, chemistry) have been pencilling subject codes into the books before I check and validate the catalogue record.  It’s a great way to use the huge amount of subject knowledge that they have and speed up my work.  I simply can’t have a detailed background in all those areas, and there’s only me so I would never have time to develop it to the extent they have.

I control the terms they can add from a central list, but they can request extra ones if they can explain why the existing ones do not cover it!

Jennie

From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Claire Sewell
Sent: 29 March 2012 11:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CIG-E-FORUM] Tagging [was RE: Day 1 summary of discussions]

I agree. Although subject headings should remain, I think that tagging has its place. I work in a legal deposit library where we get material on every subject. Some items are just so technical (thinking maths and science books) that I would have no idea where to start with subject headings.

Maybe in these circumstances, doing a bit of crowd sourcing would be a good idea? The mathematics student would know what the book is about and how his peers are likely to search for it. I think tagging would help in this kind of situation.