From:   Kristine Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
Date:   29/03/2012 13:10
Subject:        Re: [CIG-E-FORUM] Tagging
Sent by:        CIG E-Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,

My name is Kristine, I work in a museum library and do a lot of
cataloguing as part of my role, I graduated from my Msc in library studies
a couple of years ago.  I lurked a bit on here yesterday, but didn't get
much of a chance to post anything as I had quite a lot of work on.

I've been interested in following the discussion on tagging [even though
it isn't something we are considering for our own library] because I did
my dissertation on user based tagging.  During my research it did seem to
come across that on academic, rather than social sites, tagging wasn't
that popular.  And that those who did tag, tended to do so for more
personal reasons rather than to add search terms.  For example some of the
most popular tags on CiteULike tended to be action terms, such as
'toread', 'todo', 'useful', 'fordissertation' etc, it seemed as though
academics were more interested in tagging as a form of organising personal
references rather than anything else.  It just got me wondering how much
usage tagging on library catalogues might actually see.

Kristine Chapman
@KrisWJ