my experiences:
C2 with a long axis parallel to the shortest crystal dimension, crystals were plates. Used prebent loops to fish the crystals. Personally I haven't tried to bend loops in mounted crystals as Frank does, but it sounds very useful.
bar-shaped P321 crystals with hexagonal cross-sections, these naturally "fell" into loops in the "right" orientations. Too "right" usually, because you also don't want the long axis too parallel to the rotation axis and have a large blind cone compromising completeness, 10-20º from parallel is great, here a minikappa or the bendable loop mounts are very useful.

Mark J van Raaij
Laboratorio M-4
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia - CSIC