Dear All:

Thank you very much for your comments.

I did not notice that this issue has been dicussed lately.

Thank you for your inputs

regards

Ros

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Kelly Daughtry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Ros,

I haven't used the  "Temp Fact Variance Analysis" in Coot, but can guess that the red bars indicate increased b-factor compared to the average of your protein model?

If so, then:
1. The lack of electronic density is the cause of these red-bars?

Likely yes. If there is no density to support the position of the side chain, then you will see an increase in B-factor.

2. How do I fix them? delete the side chains?

This question has been under debate in our community recently.
If I recall correctly (and my opinion) is you should leave the side chains as they are and let the b-factor be an indication of the uncertainty of their position.
I'm willing to bet these side chains are surface residues, or in a mobile part of our protein.

A good thing to compare is the average b-factor of your entire model compared to these residues, as well as the b-factor of these specific side chains compared to  main chain atoms.

Hope this helps clarify.

Sincerely,
Kelly Daughtry

Kelly Daughtry, Ph.D.