Thank you for your responses. Actually, the data are very complete: 99.6% total and 99.2% in the high resolution shell. Only 2% of data were used for cross validation because there were a large number of reflections.

I had calculated omit maps. At first when I discovered the presence of the lower occupancy form, I initially only had the modified ligand in the map, but then using phases from the model including it, noticed extra density explainable by the unmodified ligand. Afterward, however, I calculated omit maps, removing all ligands. The mFo-DFc omit map does indeed show features of the unmodified (lower occupancy) ligand even when omitting all ligands in the model. However, the 2mFo-Dfc omit map shows the lower occupancy form better than the mFo-Dfc omit map.  Interesting.

Gregg

Gregg Crichlow
Dept. of Pharmacology
Yale University