Dear Imre, dear Katya,
thanks a lot for the prompt and insightful replies.

@Imre: well, I don't think it is a matter of linker of lack of Met/presence of stop codon after GST.
We use the exact same linker in bacteria and that works just nice, while wrt to the Met, we have cases in which we have kept the original Met (gene starting from aa 1) or in which we didn't include it (N-term deletion mutants) and we experience the same problem.
I tend to second rather Katya's opinion that what we purify in massive amounts are indeed native GSH-binding proteins (I dind't think at that at all!).

@Katya: I will have a look at the paper you sent me. However, the trouble is that the high amount of GHS binding protein is lowering the amount of GST-fusion protein we manage to recover from beads. So even being able to purify it form native GSH-binding proteins will not be ideal.

I think I will carefully consider the option of expressing MBP-fusion proteins, and move away from GST, as you both suggest.

Thanks a zillion for the tips,
best,
Sebastiano