By mechanical disruption you mean sonication only or have you tried the
French press?

Assuming that you use sonication, and assuming that you follow a fairly
standard protocol (e.g. something like 10sec pulse/20sec pause on ice
for 3 minutes total), it may be heat not ultrasound that gets to it.
Temperature in the sonicated sample may go pretty high under regular
sonication protocol - we have the temperature probe and it easily goes
over room temperature.

I may certainly be wrong on both assumptions.  And French press would
suffer from the same heating problem - some pre-cool the whole thing in
the cold room, but I don't know how much it helps.

Cheers,

Ed.

--
"Hurry up before we all come back to our senses!"
                           Julian, King of Lemurs